(recipe via epicurious)
6 medium Gala apples (about 3 pounds), cored from bottom, leaving stems on
1/2 gallon apple cider
1 cup packed light brown sugar
1. Peel the top third of each apple and rub peeled part with lemon half. Put apples in a large 5-quart pot and add cider and brown sugar.
1 cup chopped pecans
2 Tbsp granulated sugar
1 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
1 large egg white, lightly beaten
1. Preheat oven to 450°F with rack in lower third.
2. Stir together all ingredients with a pinch of salt, then spread out on a baking sheet. Bake, rotating sheet halfway through, until golden, 5 to 6 minutes.
3. Transfer to a rack and loosen nuts, then cool (nuts will crisp as they cool).
1/2 cup chilled heavy cream
1 1/2 Tbsp granulated sugar
1 Tbsp dark rum
1/4 tsp pure vanilla extract
1. Beat cream with sugar, rum, and vanilla using an electric mixer until it just holds soft peaks.
2. Drain apples (you can save the poaching liquid for another use), and put an apple on each plate. Sprinkle with candied pecans and some cinnamon sugar. Dollop cream next to each apple and for extra decadence, drizzle caramel sauce all over!