It's tomato season people. We planted, like, a bajillion tomatoes and now we're trying to come up with things to do with our daily harvest of tomatoes. This is actually something that Dan came up with one morning. We've been making our own pesto recently, so he whipped up some pesto, and I had some fire roasted red peppers leftover from the zucchini roll appetizers I made for Kristi's party a few weeks ago, which I thought would go perfectly in the little cups. This is a really easy and quick recipe to make. It cooks in just a couple minutes, so if you need a last minute appetizer this is a great option! Or you can be like us and just eat them all as a meal, or snack on them all afternoon. I saved the innards and Dan used them in a homemade tomato pasta sauce!
small tomatoes (you can use grape tomatoes, but they might be too small to hold everything)
fire roasted red peppers
mozzarella or parmesan cheese
1. Cut the tomatoes in half and remove the innards so that you create a little cup. Cut horizontally across, not vertically down.
2. Dice the red peppers and fill the tomato cups halfway with them.
3. Fill the tomato cups the rest of the way with the pesto.
4. Top with a small slice of mozzarella or parmesan.
5. Broil on high for about 2-3 minutes. Until the cups are hot and the cheese is melted and bubbling.